Nothing crashed outside of Roswell in July of 1947

But something did crash around June 14, about 35 miles northwest of Roswell and it wasnt’ a flying saucer.

(Stanton Friedman – – propagator of the “alien saucer crash” myth)

Here is the TIMELINE of the events that took place:

June 14  (Saturday):

(10 days before the world had ever heard of “flying saucers” or “flying disks”), a rancher by the name of W.W. (Mac) Brazel  (pictured below) and his 8-year old son, Vernon, were about 7 or 8 miles from the ranch house of the J. B. Foster ranch, which he operates, when they came upon a large area of bright wreckage made up of rubber strips, tinfoil, a rather tough paper and sticks.

There was no sign of any metal in the area which might have been used for an engine and no sign of any propellers of any kind, although at least one paper fin had been glued onto some of the tinfoil.

There were no words to be found anywhere on the instrument, although there were letters on some of the parts.  Considerable scotch tape and some tape with flowers printed upon it had been used in the construction.

(J.B. Foster Ranch was located about 30 miles southeast of Corona, NM – – the ranch was located about 35 miles northwest of Roswell).

At the time Brazel was in a hurry to get his round made and he did not pay much attention to it.

June 24  (Tuesday):

The famous Kenneth Arnold incident in Washington state:

July 4  (Friday):

Brazel, his wife, Vernon and a daughter, Betty, age 14, went back to the spot and gathered up quite a bit of the debris.

July 5  (Saturday):

Brazel first heard about the flying disks, and he wondered if what he had found might be the remnants of one of these.

July 7  (Monday):

Brazel came to Roswell to sell some wool and while here he went to see sheriff George Wilcox and “whispered kinda confidential like” that he might have found a flying disk.

Wilcox got in touch with the Roswell Army Air Field and Maj. Jesse A. Marcel:

Marcel’s commander, Colonel William Blanchard  (pictured below) ordered Marcel and counterintelligence officer Sheridan Cavitt out to Brazel’s ranch.

Marcel and counterintelligence officer accompanied him home, where they picked up the rest of the pieces of the “disk” and went to his home to try to reconstruct it.

On viewing the wreckage, Cavitt immediately thought it probably came from a weather balloon, but Marcel had other ideas.  Marcel had a pre-conceived notion that it must have been part of the flying disk that he had heard about.

July 8  (Tuesday) :

The public information office at the base made the announcement that they had recovered a flying disk (approved by Col. Blanchard).  This created newspaper headlines – – it was a sensation!:

At the intervention of Brigadier General Roger Ramey  (pictured below)  who had also inspected the wreckage, a press conference was soon held that included Marcel.  The army announced that the fuss was over nothing more than a weather balloon, pieces of which were duly paraded for public display:

Prior to the press conference, a weather officer by the name of Irving Newton (pictured below) remembered seeing pieces of what he recognized as a weather balloon laid out in Ramey’s office:

In 1990s, Newton told investigators:

“I remember Major Marcel chased me all around that room…..He kept saying things like ‘Look how tough that metal is….look at the strange markings on it’….While I was examining the debris, Marcel was picking up pieces of the radar target sticks and trying to convince me that some notations on the sticks were alien writings.  But I was adamant that it was a weather balloon with a RAWIN (radar) target.  I think he was embarrassed as crazy and he would like to do anything to make that turn into a flying saucer” – – from Mysteries, Myths, Mayhem and Money chapter of Gary Bates’ ALIEN INTRUSION.

July 9  (Wednesday):

Ramey’s statement appears on ROSWELL DAILY RECORD newspaper:

July 9  (Wednesday):

W.W. (Mac) Brazel’s statement of regret appears on ROSWELL DAILY RECORD newspaper:

Marcel didn’t agree with this conclusion, probably because this was unlike any weather balloon he had ever seen.

It was not just a “weather balloon”.  It was a top-secret program called Project Mogul, which was finally and officially revealed in 1994):

(Other high altitude reconnaissance balloon projects from the era included Project Skyhook, Project Grandson, Project Genetrix and Projct Moby Dick, pictured above)



More than 30 years after the incident, a few die-hard believers in the ‘alien saucer myth’ started questioning again the explanation that it was a “weather balloon”.

(And they were right, it was not just a “weather balloon”.  It was a top-secret program called Project Mogul, which was finally and officially revealed in 1994).

A book entitled THE ROSWELL INCIDENT came out in 1980, co-authored by Charles Berlitz and William L. Moore (who later on identified himself as a disinformation agent).  It became a best-seller:

(Above – – William L. Moore, self-claimed disinformation agent)

In order to write this book, the authors claimed they interviewed some of the so-called “witnesses” to this incident.  They also delegated a few researchers to search for any other “witnesses” in the Roswell area.  Also, independent from them were a few other researchers (such as Stanton Friedman, pictured below) who, on their own, attempted to look for witnesses:

The big problem was that they interviewed folks more than 30 years after the incident took place.  And many of the so-called “witnesses” were nothing more than second-hand and third-hand “witnesses”.  Many of them were willing to be interviewed for the chance to be in the “spotlight”, so to speak.

There were also some late-comer “witnesses” to this circus, such as Glenn Dennis (pictured below) who, in 1989, began to claim that he was working as a mortician the day the “saucer” wreckage arrived and that he knew a nurse who supposedly assisted at the “alien” autopsies, but her name has never appeared on any records.  (Glenn Dennis became the founder of the UFO Museum at Roswell):

The total accuracy of the so-called “witnesses” (more than 30 years after the incident) was highly questionable, particularly Jesse Marcel who was a believer from the get-go and whose unfounded beliefs had been properly over-ridden and dismissed by his superiors.

Despite Marcel’s  frequently changing his testimony about the Roswell debris throughout the Roswell fiasco, in August, 1948, he was transferred to the Strategic Air Command, where he was eventually put in charge of a Pentagon briefing room for the Air Force of Atomic Energy (AFOT-1).

In July, 1950 he returned to Houma, Louisiana and opened a small-town TV repair shop.

When he was released from active duty, his commission (as a Lieutenant Colonel) was transferred to the Air Force Reserves.

He eventually received his full discharge in 1958.

(In 1978 Stanton Friedman found Jesse Marcel in Houma, Louisiana where he had retired and was still running the radio-TV repair shop)

Jesse Marcel, Walter Haut, Frank Kaufmann and Glenn Dennis.
Walter Haut vouched for these two men, who were later determined to be telling tall tales and lies about their involvement.
Was it all about promoting the UFO Museum?.



E-mail =

Facebook =


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s